"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine"
Piano lessons are available for children, teens and adults. They are usually given weekly during the school year. The teacher will help set yearly goals, assist the student in choosing interesting repertoire with related technical/theory exercises, suggest practicing strategies to leverage success, and encourage student progress. Opportunities are given to participate in 3 annual recitals.
Lessons typically include a combination of the following:
- Playing a variety of pieces (usually 3 pieces per week) from different genres and styles
- Exercises to build keyboard facility such as playing technical drills, scales, chords and arpeggios, etc.
- Theory exercises that help beginners reinforce their understanding of how to read and write music
- Sight reading exercises, which include never-seen-before melodic and rhythmic patterns
- Ear training exercises to develop a better listening ear
The lesson is the starting point where goals and assignments are set. Following the lesson, the real work begins with regular, quality practice. It is important for students to practice lesson material daily, with focused attention, in order to develop skills.